- I wanted to not lecture. It bores everyone and in my experience 90% of behaviors come during lecture time because a student is bored and doesn't want/can't focus on what the teacher is saying.
- I wanted the students to be able to collaborate and work with whoever they wanted. By asking questions and teaching each other I feel like they will get more than working independently in rows.
- I wanted students to have a choice in how they learn. Not all students are created equal and therefore there is no set way on how ALL students can learn material.
|This is the accommodated choice sheet.|
|This is the regular choice sheet.|
For the most part, I was happy with the outcome. However, there were some rough patches that had to be fixed.
- It still wasn't giving the students complete freedom of assignments. Towards the end of the unit I was just like "Whatever! Do 3 assignments at this point or you are not going to be finished!"
- Students are still having time management issues. I had one student that picked a 3D model and then spent a week working on it. He didn't get the rest of his work finished. :-(
- Students knew that there was a difference in the two charts. It made for some awkward conversations that I wasn't super fond of.